We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The yishengting website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
yishengting
Bora Bora
Search

Where to stay? Help with choosing an island

Toronto
8 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
Where to stay? Help with choosing an island
Save

OK, so we are booked to arrive on a Monday in Papeete, on the Tuesday we leave on the 10 day Princess Cruise, then we get back on the Friday and have 3 nights until Monday to spend wherever we want until we go home. I would like some info as to what people think of Tahiti vs Moorea vs Bora Bora. We get to see all of them on our cruise but I want to book the hotel before we go. If anyone as been to these locations and can give us some insight into hotels on each island it would be great. We have been looking at the following hotels: Tahiti - Radisson, Intercontinental, Sheraton; Moorea - Pearl, Intercontinental; Bora Bora - Novotel, Hotel Maitai and Sofitel Marara. Any help would be appreciated. We know its going to be expensive, we are already at 8K CAD. Whats another 2K?

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,315 posts
14 reviews
38 helpful votes
1. Re: Where to stay? Help with choosing an island
Save

Gill, since you're doing the cruise route I would choose the Vahine Island resort which is located on a motu off Tahaa. You will have visited Bora and not paid a grand a night, Tahiti itself is not really great unless you get to the other side of the island. Places to stay are very limited, Huahine is another option but I would wholeheartedly suggest Vahine. Pub

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
198 posts
1 review
7 helpful votes
2. Re: Where to stay? Help with choosing an island
Save

Gill- I haven't been to any of these islands but have done a lot of research, as I am going for my honeymoon later this year. From what I've heard from friends who have gone, and on this site, DONT spend three night in Tahiti! Its not really great anymore, like Pub said. I would choose Moorea or Bora Bora. Personally, I'd choose Bora BOra. I am really looking forward to both, but you'll get to see Moorea's beauty and peaks on your cruise... BB is the one everyone says is unbelieveably gorgeous and surreal...Pub's right that its $$$ but so is everywhere else in the area it seems. I don't know any of the hotels in BB you mentioned so can't comment on that.

Santa Barbara...
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,707 posts
14 reviews
176 helpful votes
3. Re: Where to stay? Help with choosing an island
Save

Yes ou should do three nights in Bora Bora! It'll be expensive but actually the hotels you mention are in the affordable range (except the Intercontinental). The Novotel has very inexpensive rates but their rooms are hotel rooms across the street from the beach. The Le Maitai has hotel rooms with a beautiful ocean view, beach and overwater bungalows. Their overwater are the most affordable in Bora Bora and they also include continental breakfast. The Sofitel Marara has just been completely refurbished and has some excellent opening rates! It has a beautiful beach as well. Interestingly all three are right next to each other on the same stretch of beach although it is the nicest in front of the Sofitel. If price and quality are your biggest consideration give the Sofitel a shout....then Le Maitai and most affordable Novotel.

sunny regards,

shully

boston
13 posts
4. Re: Where to stay? Help with choosing an island
Save

i have been to all three island...

i would say stay away from tahiti,moorea and bb are very different. if you want to lie on a beach and relax go to bb. if you like more culture and touring islands go to moorea...if you want to drop some money go to tahaa and stay at the tahaa village and spa...of all 4 islands i would say it was the most removed and tranquil

Sunnyvale, CA
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
53 helpful votes
5. Re: Where to stay? Help with choosing an island
Save

Gill,

You've got some smart friends who've replied well to your questions. Don't even think about spending much time on Tahiti iself. Moorea is nice, but reminds me of Hawaii. Bora Bora is definitely the crown jewel. The only reason not to pick Bora Bora is if you've dived extensively, then an atoll might be fun (Rangaroa, Fakarava, or Ruturu if you're there at the right time to snorkle with the whales, but this is seasonal, starting in late July. But the atolls are all about underwater, not above water. The only other option would be La Tahaa, the private island resort. Wonderful luxury and a fantastic spa which you pay very dearly for. This is for you if your primary goal is being pampared.

So, besides the forementioned exceptions, Bora Bora is the best island to visit. And very importantly, be sure to go on a shark feeding. Absolutely fantastic. And try your hand at scuba, or at the very least snuba. You'll remember both forever!!! Have fun.

Ontario
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
2 reviews
31 helpful votes
6. Re: Where to stay? Help with choosing an island
Save

Hi!

We stayed at the Sheraton Moorea (7 nights), the Marara Bora Bora (7 nights)and Ti Tiare on Huahine (3 nights)as well as The Intercontinental Tahiti (3 nights). The Sheraton was gorgeous!! Of the islands we visited we prefer Moorea. We stayed in over water bungalows at all the properties mentioned (other than on Tahiti). The vacation was customized through GO WAY TRAVEL and we flew Air Tahiti Nui out of Los Angeles. If you have any "hotel specific" questions I will do my best to help out.

Nakkie

Toronto
8 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
7. Re: Where to stay? Help with choosing an island
Save

Thanks to everyone who helped by answering. We have choosen to stay in Bora Bora, only for 2 nights cause our flight out is the next morning at 8:15am and Air Tahiti doesn't get us back with enough time, so we will spend the 2 days in Bora Bora fly back in the evening and then stay in the Sheraton Tahiti since its the closest then head home. For those who were asking about our timing we arrive in Tahiti on May 8th and return 22nd. My fiancee is freaking out about shark excursions, I keep telling him that they wouldn't do it if people get hurt all them time. This is our dream honeymoon, its going to be soooooo great!

Toronto
8 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
8. Re: Where to stay? Help with choosing an island
Save

Oh and I forgot we both dive so thats going to be a big thing for us down there.

Santa Barbara...
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,707 posts
14 reviews
176 helpful votes
9. Re: Where to stay? Help with choosing an island
Save

If you are a diver then I'd go to the Tuamotus during your post stay....try the Kia Ora on Rangiroa or Fakarava or Tikehau...

underwater paradise in the Tuamotus...

sunny regards,

shully